Trial and Litigation
We know litigation and trial practice. At Powers Tolman Farley we have the ability to fully analyze, prepare and try cases. We have extensive experience trying cases, from the complex to the routine. Trial experience is our greatest strength. Although early and cost efficient resolution of litigation is most desirable, we are prepared to take a case to trial if necessary. In fact, all of our cases are managed with this thought in mind and are ready to be tried if necessary.
Often civil disputes lead to the need not only for effective legal assistance, but for hands-on and aggressive trial experience. At Powers Tolman Farley, we stand out throughout Idaho as trial attorneys. Ray Powers, Steve Tolman, and Don Farley have been in practice since 1981, 1975, and 1973, respectively, and have tried over 200 cases in various specialty areas, with a verdict success rate of over 90 percent. All of our attorneys and paralegals have trial experience and are proficient with courtroom procedure. We embrace the important role of technology in the effective preparation and presentation of cases at trial to provide the most cost-efficient and effective legal representation possible. Our firm maintains the latest technology in electronic database management and trial presentation software. In addition to trial work, our attorneys have frequently represented clients in arbitrations, mediations, and administrative hearings, as well as appellate proceedings before the Idaho Court of Appeals and Idaho Supreme Court.
Powers Tolman Farley embraces the important role of technology in the preparation and presentation of cases at trial to provide the most cost-efficient and effective legal representation possible. Our firm maintains the latest technology in electronic database management and trial presentation software to the benefit of our clients, while, at the same time, continuing to provide the best legal representation available. Our firm also has an active appellate practice and has been involved in several cases raising cutting-edge legal issues. We are also experienced in alternative dispute resolution.
When the stakes are high, Powers Tolman Farley is the firm you want on your side.
Over the years, the firm’s lawyers have participated in many appeals, resulting in decisions that shape the law in Idaho today. Below is a list of some of the more important Appellate Court decisions resulting from our lawyers' hard work and dedication to our clients:
- Pearson v. Parsons, M.D., 114 Idaho 334, 757 P.2d 197 (1988)
- Bott, et al., v. Idaho State Building Authority, 122 Idaho 471, 835 P.2d 1282 (1992); 128 Idaho 580, 917 P.2d 737 (1996)
- Dunlap v. Family Health Services, 127 Idaho 599, 903 P.2d 1296 (1994)
- Keyser v. Garner, M.D., 129 Idaho 112, 922 P.2d 409 (Ct. App. 1996)
- Dillion v. Montgomery, 138 Idaho 614, 67 P.3d 93 (2003)
- Gillihan v. Gump, 140 Idaho 693, 99 P.3d 1083 (2003)
- Gillihan v. Gump, 140 Idaho 264, 92 P.3d 514 (2004)
- Idaho Dept. of Labor v. Sunset Marts, Inc., 140 Idaho 207, 91 P.3d 1111 (2004)
- Puckett v. Verska, M.D., 144 Idaho 161, 158 P.3d 937 (2007)
- Boots v. Winters, 145 Idaho 389, 179 P.3d 352 (2008)
- Jones v. HealthSouth Treasure Valley Hospital, 147 Idaho 109, 206 P.3d 473 (Jan 2009)
- Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co. of Idaho v. Schrock, 150 Idaho 817, 252 P.3d 98 (2011)
- Elliott v. Verska, 152 Idaho 280, 271 P.3d 678 (2012)
- Jackson Hop, LLC v. Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co. of Idaho, 158 Idaho 894, 354 P.3d 456 (2015)
- Samples v. Bingham County Hospital
- Hennifer v. Blaine County School District No. 61, 346 P.3d 259, 158 Idaho 242 - Idaho: Supreme Court, 2015
- Brasley, et al. v. Fearless Farris Service Stations, Inc., et al. Case No. 16-35519
- Morrison v. St. Luke's Reg'l Med. Ctr., Ltd., 160 Idaho 599, 377 P.3d 1062 (2016)
- Easterling v. Kendall, 159 Idaho 902, 367 P.3d 1214 (2016)
- Navo v. Bingham Mem'l Hosp., 160 Idaho 363, 373 P.3d 681 (2016)
For more information contact Raymond Powers, Steve Tolman, James Thomson, Nicole Cannon, Portia Rauer and Mark Orler.